The Adirondack Economic Development Corporation (AEDC), a not-for-profit economic development corporation whose mission is to “provide access to capital, training and technical assistance to North Country small businesses,” seeks a proven and innovative leader to serve as its next Executive Director.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have the responsibility of overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Saranac Lake-based nonprofit, maintain the vision, mission and core values of the institution, as well as defining and directing the Corporation’s resources to achieve its strategic and operating goals. The position is accountable for the performance of all functions within the Corporation, including its relationships with sponsors, partner organizations and government officials. The primary focus of the position revolves around the areas of planning and leadership. The Executive Director must be able to lead a regional small business revitalization effort while also successfully implementing day-to-day managerial duties, sales efforts, and entrepreneurial training and mentoring responsibilities.
Job Duties and Essential Functions
- Sets, with the Board and staff, the overall vision and nurtures the culture of the organization.
- Develops corporate strategy, budgets and investments for Board approval.
- Makes compensation and employment decisions – serves as the Corporation’s chief personnel officer.
- Oversees day-to-day operations of the Corporation’s lending, training, technical assistance, and administrative functions and serves as the Corporation’s chief financial officer.
- Maintains an environment of service excellence and continuous improvement.
- Maintain relations with diverse public and private sector partners including federal and State stakeholders and regional economic development organizations.
- Reports as required to the federal and State agencies who are the primary sponsors of the Corporation’s programs.
- Personally helps to sell the Corporation’s services to clients and manages the Corporations’ overall sales effort.
- Manages and delivers entrepreneurial classroom training and associated technical assistance to small business clients.
- Consults with clients on special projects.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Qualifications
- Absolute integrity.
- Entrepreneurial in nature.
- Has a vision of and a passion for the future success of the region.
- A leader and a relationship builder.
- An MBA or equivalent small business experience.
- In-depth understanding of small business realities; a history of ownership and active management of a small business a plus.
- Experience in personally delivering classroom entrepreneurial training; must be a good teacher/trainer.
- Successful hands-on selling experience, especially in selling services to small business clients.
- Three years or more of managerial experience; consulting experience a plus.
- Private sector oriented with a background in for-profit organizations.
- Understands the Northern NY business climate.
- Shows a track record of achieving goals.
- Prepared for a minimum 5-year commitment.
Applications will be accepted through Dec. 15, 2018. For consideration, please submit résumé, salary history and at least three references, together with a detailed letter describing how your background and experience match the qualification described above. All applications should be sent to: AEDC Search Committee, 67 Main St., Suite 300, Saranac Lake, NY 12983. Applications may also be submitted electronically to email@example.com through Dec. 15. Candidates for this position will initially be evaluated by AEDC’s Search Committee. The most qualified individuals will be invited to participate in the next phase of the selection process.
- Operating Budget: About $350,000 (almost all from state and federal state)
- Direct Employees: 3+
- Scope of Operations: NNY’s 14 counties, but especially the Adirondack Park
- Net Assets: About $3 million
- Total Loan Portfolio: About $1.3 million
- Direct Reports: 2 (1 field staff plus the comptroller/office manager)
- Reports To: Board of Directors
AEDC is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.